Mergers & Acquisitions
Whether on the buyside or sellside, our corporate and securities attorneys have extensive experience advising clients in mergers, acquisitions, and other business combinations. Over the years, we have established strong relationships with investment banking firms, financial institutions, venture capital, private equity and leveraged buy-out funds, and other sources of capital to fund these transactions.
We are also regularly involved in contests for corporate control, proxy contests, and activist or dissident shareholder matters.
Representative matters we have handled include the following:
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented public hospital company in going-private transaction sponsored by major private equity firm.
- Represented OTCBB biotech company in a series of acquisitions of cosmeceuticals companies.
- Represented public oil company in connection with a “reverse” merger with private oil and gas company
- Represented private online advertising company in sale to leading Los Angeles-based private equity firm.
- Represented private entertainment company in sale of the company to Chicago-based private equity firm.
- Represented Nasdaq-listed agricultural processing and marketing company in acquisition of private cut fruit and vegetables marketing company.
- Represented private entertainment industry company in sale to Toronto Stock Exchange-listed media company.
- Represented NYSE-listed manufacturing company in auction of the company and subsequent sale of the company to San Francisco-based private equity firm.
- Represented private composites parts manufacturer in auction bids of the company and subsequent sale to London Stock Exchange-listed conglomerate.
- Represented national bank in acquisition of $200 million community bank.
- Represented private all-natural beef producer in acquisitions of several prominent all-natural and all-organic brand businesses.
- Represented private registered investment advisor in sale to Chicago-based broker-dealer and investment banking firm.
- Represented one of the nation’s largest agricultural cooperatives in joint venture involving contribution of brand names, trademarks, and related IP.
- Represented Nasdaq-listed agricultural processing and marketing company in cash acquisitions of trademarks and other IP of branded foods businesses.
- Represented Los Angeles-based private equity firm in purchase of private Illinois-based manufacturer of specialty coatings used in the printing industry.
- Represented NYSE-listed manufacturing company in solicitation of bids for the company and subsequent sale of the company to private equity firm.
- Represented private entertainment industry company in the sale of the company to the U.S. arm of a Canadian investment trust.
- Represented public commercial bank in stock-for-stock merger with another public commercial bank.
- Represented U.K. company in acquisition of a division of public U.S. entertainment technology company.
- Represented private group in connection with leveraged buyout of durable medical equipment wholesaler.
- Represented private provider of online marketing solutions for automotive industry in sale of 20% ownership stake to Canada’s leading print and online vertical media company.
- Represented multinational seller in “Dutch” auction of assets and real estate valued at over $200 million to financial and strategic buyers.
- Represented private financial services industry buyer in multiple U.S. and cross-border acquisitions with transaction values ranging from nominal to $80 million.
- Represented private motor sports company in merger with diversified sports, entertainment and media company.
- Represented private equity fund in leveraged acquisition of multiple-location career college.
- Represented private mortgage banking company with operations in six western states to major national mortgage banker.
Contests for Corporate Control
- Represented controlled NYSE-listed manufacturing company in activist shareholders’ attempt to obtain board representation.
- Represented family investment fund in attempted takeover of NYSE-listed REIT.
- Represented bank holding company in $27 million self-tender offer.
- Represented majority-owned subsidiary of a public company in rights offering challenged by minority shareholders.
- Represented dissident shareholders in successful attempt to elect shareholders’ slate of directors to gain control of Nasdaq-listed adult entertainment company.
- Represented minority shareholder in successful approach to public company to restructure the company and to elect shareholder’s nominee to the company’s board of directors.
- Represented Nasdaq-listed manufacturer and distributor of wireless communications products in negotiation and resolution of activist shareholder’s attempt to gain control of the board of directors.
- Represented controlled NYSE-listed manufacturing company in negotiation and settlement of activist shareholder’s attempt to elect its representative to the board of directors of the company.
- Represent special committee of the board of directors of one of the nation’s largest radio “rep” companies in connection with an unsuccessful shareholder proposal to auction the company and in unwanted approach by “vulture” bond fund.
- Represented private buyer of mortgage banking business from a large mid-west commercial bank.