Robert A. Briskin
Robert A. Briskin is a certified specialist in taxation law by the State Bar of California. Mr. Briskin represents businesses and wealthy families in their tax, real estate, business and legal matters.
He is an AV-rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell. Robert A. Briskin is a frequent speaker and has spoken before accounting and CPA groups, the California CPA Education Foundation, the USC Probate and Trust Conference, the USC Tax Institute, Bar groups, and estate planning groups.
A list of Mr. Briskin's articles includes: Estate Planning for the Family Business, USC Probate and Trust Conference, 2000; The Treatment of Cancellation of Debt Income by S Corporations, Los Angeles Lawyer, June 2000; S Corporations: Supreme Court to Decide Whether COD Income Increases Basis, The Tax Advisor, September 2000; Supreme Court Reverses Tenth Circuit in Gitlitz, Taxes, the Tax Magazine, March 2001; Fair Exchanges, Los Angeles Lawyer, September 2003; Preserving the Tax Benefits of Family Limited Partnerships California CPA Magazine, July 2003; Like-Kind Exchanges-Common Problems and Solutions The Tax Advisor, April 2005; Planning Strategies to Sell Real Estate at Lower Long-Term Capital Gains Rates, California CPA Magazine, November 2005; Family Limited Partnerships - Operational Issues, California CPA Education Foundation - August 2007; Loan Workouts for Commercial Loans, California CPA Magazine, June 2009; and Estate Planning for Real Estate, California CPA Education Foundation , November 2009.
- Structured the reorganization of multiple limited liability companies owning industrial, office and retail properties with an aggregate asset value in excess of $575 million.
- Represented client in the tax structuring of a residential condominium project to achieve long-term capital gain income tax rate on sale, and to minimize ordinary income.
- Assisted client in the stock sale and tax structuring of an electrical components manufacturing company for a sales price of $80 million.
- Served as attorney to client in the sale of their manufacturing business in a tax-free transaction.
- Worked with bankruptcy attorneys to assist clients structuring loan workouts in a tax advantageous manner.
- Represented client in the stock sale of an aviation service corporation for a sales price of $8 million, which included a corporate earn-out formula.
- Represented client in the sale of commercial land in Southern California for a sales price in excess of $25 million.
- Assisted client in tax planning for the acquisition of a retail shopping center consisting of space in excess of 1 million square feet, for a purchase price of approximately $110 million.
- Assisted clients to plan and structure their estate plans and family businesses with aggregate asset values ranging from $2 million to in excess of $600 million.
- Represented landlord in negotiating the lease of office and distribution facilities to an international manufacturing company for space comprising approximately 325,000 square feet.
- Utilization of GRATs, family partnerships, sales to family members, trusts and other techniques to maximize tax benefits, reduce the family's liability exposure, and to achieve the family's dispositive goals.
- Represented client in the acquisition of an electrical components manufacturing company.
- Represented clients to set up private foundations, charitable lead trusts and charitable remainder trusts in order to reduce taxes, and achieve the clients' dispositive goals.
- Represented client in the sale of its waste management business in a tax-free corporate transaction.
- Represented client in the tax structuring of a reverse construction Section 1031 exchange of their business's corporate headquarters and property into a newly constructed building.
- Assisted clients in structuring a corporate business asset sale to achieve long-term capital gains tax treatment.