Christopher A. Lilly
Mr. Lilly has extensive trial, arbitration, and appellate experience in employment, securities, entertainment litigation, consumer class actions, and first amendment litigation.
Mr. Lilly is also chair of the firm’s Recruiting Committee.
Before joining TroyGould, Mr. Lilly was an associate with Morrison & Foerster LLP, where he worked extensively on the defense of securities fraud, consumer, and wage and hour class action cases.
He began his career as a legal intern at the labor and employment law firm of Epstein, Becker & Green, and also served as an extern to Hon. Harry Pregerson (United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit).
- Chaired six-day jury trial and obtained defense verdict against a former executive in his lawsuit for a golden parachute payout, and obtained a substantial attorney fee award against the former employee
- Retained by an employer after a jury returned a verdict for a million dollars for an employee in a wrongful termination case; filed and won a motion for a new trial, which vacated the verdict, and the case settled on favorable terms
- Represented employer accused of age and religious discrimination in wrongful termination action; settled on favorable terms before the need to file a summary judgment motion
- Represented clients in administrative hearings and appeals to successfully deny former employees unemployment benefits
- Defended a public company in an action by numerous shareholders alleging they were fraudulently induced to purchase their shares, and also fraudulently induced to hold their shares; settled with no payment by the company
- In a securities fraud case, obtained judgment of dismissal for our client by having complaint dismissed with prejudice upon demurrer
- Obtained judgment of dismissal for 51 defendant shareholders and venture capitalists sued for securities fraud and cancellation of their stock certificates following reverse merger
- In action to cancel former employee’s stock certificates and defense of his cross-action to invalidate the company’s patents, obtained favorable settlement for cancellation of stock and maintenance of intellectual property
- Represented individuals in SEC interviews; responded to SEC subpoenas; represented company in revocation of registration proceedings
- Obtained favorable settlement requiring no payment of money by film editing company in Internet defamation case
- Obtained multi-million dollar settlement for writer in royalty dispute with large Hollywood studio
- Represented Canadian company sued in internet dispute, and obtained walk-away settlement after prevailing on a motion to quash for lack of jurisdiction
- Obtained opinion from Court of Appeal affirming defense judgment in favor of our employer-client in employment jury trial
- Obtained opinion from Court of Appeal affirming award of attorneys’ fees in our client’s favor
- Obtained writ of mandate from Court of Appeal vacating trial court’s denial of our client’s motion for summary judgment
- Obtained opinion from Court of Appeal affirming trial court’s order setting aside a default judgment against our client
- Obtained opinion from Court of Appeal affirming trial court’s order in our client’s favor sustaining demurrer to plaintiff’s complaint without leave to amend
- Obtained writ of mandate from Court of Appeal reversing trial court decision against our client denying motion for leave to amend complaint
- January 2013 What to Do When Your Company’s Stock is Targeted by Internet Short Sellers
- January 2013 California Supreme Court Weakens Integration Provisions In Contracts
- April 2012 Judicial Hostility to Arbitration Provisions in Employment Agreements
- September 2008 Performance Review: Arbitration Decisions Now Reviewable For Legal Error