Food & Beverage
Our food and beverage practice is made up of corporate and litigation attorneys with significant experience who help our clients with creative and practical solutions to legal issues that arise in the restaurant industry. On the corporate side, our attorneys have a deep bench of experience with business entity formation, capital structure planning, equity and debt financings (raising capital to start or grow the business), partnership arrangements, real estate matters, and brand protection and development (franchise agreements, licensing deals, employment agreements, and trademark issues). Our experienced litigators efficiently handle a wide range of litigation (and pre-litigation) matters including contract issues, trade secrets, employment, and other business disputes. Our practical and solutions-focused approach helps our clients to anticipate problems and risks before they emerge, and address them as efficiently as possible.
Our clients include restaurants of all sizes, franchisors, food, beverage, and supplement producers, and wellness and nutrition companies.
Our capabilities relevant to our food and beverage practice include:
- Debt and equity financing
- Real estate negotiations, including leasing and purchase agreements
- Intellectual property issues, including trademark, copyright and trade secret protection
- Navigating employment issues, including employment agreements, wage and hour disputes, employee/independent contractor classification, and tip pooling
- Counseling on compliance with federal and state regulations
- Franchise and licensing arrangements
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Litigation arising out of food labeling and advertising claims
- Class action defense
- Partnership matters, including resolving disputes
- Stock option plans
- Insurance coverage
- ADA-related advice
- Counseling on mechanics lien claims
- Unfair competition and business practice claims
- Represented restaurants in defending sexual harassment lawsuits.
- Assisted food manufacturer in corporate formation.
- Represented clients with respect to restaurant space leases
- Represented restaurants in connection with equity and debt financings to raise money to start and expand their business.
- Represented quick-service restaurant in licensing negotiations.
- Represented restaurant client as outside general counsel.
- Counseled restaurant clients on music licensing issues.
- Counsel restaurant clients on day-to-day operating issues.
- Revised employee handbooks, offer letters, and employment contracts to facilitate compliance with state and federal laws for clients in the restaurant, fitness, wellness, and retail industries.
- Represented organic beverage company in connection with distribution and sales commission agreements.
- Represented clients in connection with the sale of business and joint ventures.
- Represented holistic wellness and supplement company in handling embezzlement investigation and employee termination.
- Represented sports nutrition company in handling franchise issues to avoid litigation.
Compromise and Uncertainty on Tipping in the Appropriations Act, Modern Restaurant Management, April 12, 2018, available at: https://www.modernrestaurantmanagement.com/compromise-and-uncertainty-on-tipping-in-the-appropriations-act/.
- FDA Exercises Mandatory Recall Authority for the First Time, Los Angeles Daily Journal, April 9, 2018.
- Spending Bill Creates Compromise on Tip Pooling Rules, Los Angeles Daily Journal, April 3, 2018.
- Watchlist: New California Laws That Will Affect the Restaurant Industry, Modern Restaurant Management, January 3, 2018, available at: https://www.modernrestaurantmanagement.com/watchlist-new-california-laws-that-will-affect-the-restaurant-industry/.
- California’s Never-ending Foie Gras Ban, Explained, Eater, September 22, 2017, available at: https://www.eater.com/2017/9/22/16349926/california-foie-gras-ban-explained
- Department of Labor to Reverse Course on Tip Pooling, Los Angeles Daily Journal, December 17, 2017.
- The Impact of New Jersey Menu Engineering Cases, Modern Restaurant Management, November 9, 2017, available at: https://www.modernrestaurantmanagement.com/the-impact-of-new-jersey-menu-engineering-cases/.
- Foie Gras Ban in Limbo, Los Angeles Daily Journal, September 20, 2017.