Cristyn N. Chadwick
As Senior Counsel at TroyGould, Cristyn Chadwick is known for her creativity, pragmatism, and persistence in serving her clients’ needs. She litigates the most complex matters—through every aspect of litigation and trial—for Fortune 500 companies and small businesses alike.
Clients value Ms. Chadwick’s intuition and judgment in determining when to litigate and when to preserve resources through settlement. Regardless of the route they choose, Ms. Chadwick’s clients appreciate the precision and efficiency with which she navigates each case to resolution. Ms. Chadwick’s careful attention to balancing clients’ overall objectives (e.g., outcome, risk, and cost) sets her practice and reputation apart.
Ms. Chadwick’s approach to litigation is informed by both her experience as a litigator at top law firms and her role as in-house counsel for a multi-billion-dollar privately held company. Ms. Chadwick also has an MBA from a top business school, which provides valuable insights into the role that operations, finance, and strategy play in her clients’ litigation perspectives.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Ms. Chadwick focuses primarily on contract and general business disputes and on private equity and partnership disputes, within the general purview of commercial litigation. These disputes often fall within the following specialties:
- Consumer Protection and Advertising
- Product Liability Litigation
- Food and Beverage
- Financial Services
- Real Estate
- Class Action Litigation
Ms. Chadwick began her career in Big Law, where she spent close to a decade practicing at Reed Smith LLP and Alston & Bird LLP. In those roles, Ms. Chadwick litigated the most high-stakes matters, took and defended over 100 depositions, and argued and opposed hundreds of motions in both state and federal court.
She then was offered a role as in-house counsel for a large, vertically integrated CPG company, where she handled litigation for the company’s over 100 diversified subsidiaries. Through that experience, she learned to appreciate the complex, and often changing, issues, pressures, and politics facing a company’s in-house legal team and General Counsel. She also understands the value of reliable relationships with outside counsel.
Ms. Chadwick has extensive experience in state and federal courts throughout California and is admitted in each of California’s federal district courts, as well as the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. She has also litigated in courts across the country, including tribal courts, as well as in various arbitration forums.
- Obtained full defense judgment in favor of the U.S.’s second largest national bank in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in multiple matters involving unsettled area of credit reporting law, effectively stemming litigation on that issue for the client.
- Obtained full defense ruling on demurrer in California Superior Court for Fortune 500 (top-10) retail corporation in Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act class action arising from alleged failure to comply with certain signage and warranty posting requirements.
- Obtained full defense ruling on motion to dismiss in favor of private equity company on all claims in Delaware Chancery Court in multi-million-dollar litigation arising from alleged breaches of a long-term incentive plan between client and executives following a liquidity event. This ruling prevented similar threatened suits by a half-dozen similarly situated former executives.
- Obtained full defense judgment in favor of cannabis client on all claims in California Superior Court in multi-million-dollar litigation involving alleged breaches of contract and breaches of fiduciary duty in dispute among the entity’s principals.
- Represented A-list American rapper, widely regarded as one of the greatest of all time, in recovering original master recordings misappropriated by his former producer.
- Represented media and entertainment distribution company in obtaining favorable arbitration decision, including attorneys’ fees, in a breach of contract action relating to the distribution of a film.
- Prevailed on all aspects of a Hague Petition in a pro bono matter that secured the return of two young children abducted from Israel by their father. Within 24 hours of learning the father had smuggled the children from Russia (a non-Hague member) to the U.S., Cristyn prepared the Petition, appeared at trial, and, after prevailing, with the assistance of the FBI, reunited the children with their mother, who had flown 7,500 miles to the courthouse to reunite with them.
- Represented Fortune 500 international brewing company in successfully and efficiently resolving dozens of premises liability claims, avoiding expensive and resource-consuming discovery and trial.
- Obtained full defense judgment for a national life insurance carrier in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California in a bad-faith action brought by a policyholder for wrongful denial of benefits.
- Co-Author, “A Lot on your (Boiler)Plate? Anticipating Litigation When Drafting Corporate Agreements,” PLI October 28, 2022
- Co-Author, “Report of the Citizens’ Commission on Jail Violence,” September 2012