E. Rich Hurst
Rich Hurst is a 1986 graduate from the University of California at Santa Barbara, with a major in English. He attended Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, graduating in 1993. After graduating from college, and prior to law school, Mr. Hurst was an Operations Manager for Federal Express Corporation. He handles civil litigation and trials, successfully handling hundreds of lengthy and complex matters, and has obtained individual jury verdicts and judgments in excess of $6 million. Mr. Hurst is a lifetime member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum® and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum®, The Top Trial Lawyers in America®”. Mr. Hurst specializes in business and real estate litigation, including contract, real estate, corporate and construction matters. Mr. Hurst has handled matters before courts in the state and federal system, including the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Ninth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel, and the Supreme Court of California, and various California Courts of Appeal and Superior Courts.
Areas of PracticeMr. Hurst specializes in business and real estate litigation, including construction defect, contract, real estate, and corporate matters. Mr. Hurst has handled matters before courts in the state and federal system, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Ninth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel, the Supreme Court of California, and various California Courts of Appeal and Superior Courts. Mr. Hurst has extensive litigation experience, and has successfully prosecuted or defended claims in the following areas:
- Construction defect and billing disputes.
- Real estate disputes, including broker liability, easements, encroachments, landslides and trespass.
- Employment matters, including wrongful termination actions.
- Breach of contract actions in a wide variety of contexts, including the provision of services and sales of real property.
- Insurance coverage disputes, including bad faith claims.
- Significant injury matters.
- Successfully prosecuted a major complex insurance bad faith action against one of the largest insurance conglomerates in the world and, after a seven-week trial, obtained a jury verdict and judgment of over $6.2 million. The case had been pending for almost ten years at the time of trial and involved the bad faith denial of a fire insurance claim involving a strip mall in Los Angeles. The case was featured in VerdictSearch, California, in the October, 2006 edition.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar settlement on behalf of a large homeowners’ association consisting of hundreds of members, as well as individual homeowners, against major developers and contractors, alleging defective construction relating to hillsides, including defective retaining wall and debris management devices as well as defective grading and slope support.
- Obtained a settlement of $ 1.5 million dollars on behalf of a homeowners’ association consisting of a high-end six-story mixed residential and commercial condominium complex on Wilshire Boulevard against contractors and consulting companies for defective construction of the building’s exterior stucco envelope resulting in damages from water intrusion.
- Obtained a settlement of close to one-million dollars on behalf of a Brentwood condominium association against a down-slope neighboring condominium association for subsidence and related damages caused by construction activities on the neighboring property consisting of the excavation of underground parking impacting the lateral and subjacent support for the represented condominium association.
- Obtained a settlement amounting to close to one-million dollars on behalf of individual homeowners, in an exclusive development, against major developers, contractors and product manufacturers for defective construction and products liability in connection with construction defects causing water intrusion and damage.
- Obtained a settlement amounting to close to one-million dollars on behalf of one of the largest condominium homeowners’ associations in Los Angeles County against a major window manufacturer and contractors for products liability relating to water intrusion and damages resulting from defective window and window components and installation.
- Obtained a six-figure settlement on behalf of a homeowner against a down slope neighbor for subsidence and damages caused by removal of a portion of a supporting slope.
- Obtained a unanimous jury verdict on behalf of plaintiff homebuyers after an eighteen-day jury trial in Ventura County Superior Court against real estate professionals and home inspector arising out of non-disclosure in connection with the sale of residential real property in Lynn Ranch, Thousand Oaks.
- Successfully defended a general contractor in a lawsuit concerning the construction of a high-end luxury home. After an approximately four-week jury trial, the jury returned a verdict of $12,000 (the plaintiff had been seeking $1 million) which was reduced to $0 due to a prior Code of Civil Procedure § 998 offer. The client (defendant general contractor) ended up with a judgment against the plaintiff as the result of that section 998 offer.
- Successfully defended a restoration contractor in a lawsuit by a homeowner seeking hundreds of thousands of dollars for an allegedly negligent emergency dry-out and mold remediation. The case was sent to contractual arbitration and the arbitrator, after a one-week arbitration, awarded a nominal amount.
- Successfully resolved a heavily contested probate matter, in Santa Barbara County Superior Court, between trustees of a trust involving an estate worth over one-million dollars.
- Obtained a dismissal of a prominent Los Angeles Architect after the first phase of a bifurcated trial. The client was initially sued, among several other defendants, in a civil action in Los Angeles Superior Court. A dismissal of the client in the civil action was obtained, pursuant to a contractual arbitration clause, and subsequently a dismissal of the entire action against the client was obtained in a binding arbitration before the American Arbitration Association.
- Successfully prosecuted and defended numerous other actions, including numerous real estate disclosure matters and commercial landlord-tenant disputes.