Peter S. Selvin
Mr. Selvin has more than 30 years of experience handling insurance coverage and international litigation. He represents insurers and national corporations in high-stakes civil disputes in a variety of commercial and business settings around the United States.
In 2011, Mr. Selvin won one of the largest judgments issued that year by the Los Angeles Superior Court – a $23 million judgment after trial. This case arose out of a commercial lending relationship involving a major institutional lender. Other notable experience includes a highly publicized three-month “bet the company” jury trial involving claims in the billions of dollars; his longstanding representation of media figures and celebrities in high-stakes litigation; and his expertise in successfully securing insurance coverage in cases involving business torts and intellectual property claims.
Throughout his career, he has maintained the highest AV “Preeminent” peer-review rating from the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory. Since 2007, Mr. Selvin has been listed in Best Lawyers® for both Commercial Litigation and Insurance Law and has also been listed as a Southern California Super Lawyer in the area of Commercial Litigation.
Prior to joining TroyGould, Mr. Selvin practiced for 25 years with Loeb & Loeb LLP, where he was a partner in that firm’s litigation department.
A graduate of the University of Chicago and the UCLA School of Law, Mr. Selvin is a Fellow in the highly selective Litigation Counsel of America. He is also a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum®, a nationwide organization which recognizes lawyers who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts.
Since 2007, Mr. Selvin has been listed for both Commercial Litigation and Insurance Law in Best Lawyers in America®.
Since 2007, Law and Politics, Inc. has identified Mr. Selvin as a Southern California “Super Lawyer” for Business Litigation.
- Represented assignee of construction lender in connection with claims against loan guarantors for breach of guarantees on a defaulted construction loan. The case was tried to judgment in the Los Angeles Superior Court, resulting in decision by the Court awarding to our client approximately $23 million, representing a full recovery under the guaranties.
- Represented Jacques Cousteau and The Cousteau Society in highly publicized trademark infringement and dilution action involving the right to use the name of “Cousteau”; defendants included Jean-Michel Cousteau, Post Ranch Inn and the owner of the Cousteau Fiji Islands Resort. Obtained preliminary injunction from U.S. District Court barring use of the name by the resort; parallel proceedings in Fiji.
- Represented major institutional lender in connection with federal court litigation arising out of defaulted $30.5 million construction loan. Litigation included lender liability action brought by borrower against client and fraud action brought by client against the general contractor for the project. Achieved summary judgment on borrower’s lender liability claim and highly successful resolution of client’s fraud action claim against general contractor.
- Successful defense of celebrity Tony Robbins in connection with high-profile claims asserted by former Robbins franchisees for fraud, R.I.C.O. and other claims arising out of acquisition by plaintiffs of franchise; plaintiffs had their complaint dismissed with prejudice and were ordered to pay Robbins money as part of settlement; case generated three published U.S. District Court opinions in client’s favor.
- Three-month “bet the company” jury trial defending German media giant Bertelsmann, A.G. and its executives in connection with $3.5 billion lawsuit by former promoters and developers of electronic commerce joint venture for a share of the venture’s profits.
- Successful insurance recovery actions brought on behalf of non-profit organization against liability insurers and insurance broker arising out of multi-million dollar personal injury claims asserted by third party claimants, where carriers had originally declined to provide coverage.
- Tried case to judgment for Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America (TIAA) against TIAA’s commercial loan borrower for failure to complete loan transaction, achieving $1.2 million judgment representing damages in action for breach of loan agreements.
- Tried case to judgment for commercial lender in federal court against borrowers for fraud, fraudulent transfer and related claims, resulting in $1.5 million judgment, including punitive damages and a finding of alter ego against borrower’s wife affiliated companies.
- Successful representation of AIG-subsidiary National Union Fire Ins. Co. in declaratory relief and bad faith action involving imposition of multi-million dollar penalties assessed against insured-employer under California worker’s compensation laws.
- Tried to judgment writ of mandate proceeding on behalf of insurance broker Willis which confirmed client’s award of insurance and risk management contract in connection with the Alameda Corridor redevelopment project.
- Representation of insurance broker Willis in negligence suit brought by National Football League arising out of alleged “gap” in coverage.
- Representation of Sun Life Assurance of Canada in $50 million recovery action arising out of client’s reinsurance arrangements with Golden Eagle Insurance Company and Mesa Re Insurance Company.
- Successful representation of AIG-subsidiary National Union Fire Ins. Co. in connection with purported multi-billion dollar “private attorney general” action arising out of alleged violations of California’s Worker’s Compensation laws by defendant class of insurance carriers.
- Successfully represented Standard Insurance Company in defeating “lender liability” claim brought by former borrower; achieved summary judgment on borrower’s claims and an award of attorneys’ fees to client.
- Mr. Selvin has been published in numerous business and legal publications, including the International Financial Law Review, Executive Counsel, Risk & Insurance and Global Counsel. His publications have also appeared in professional publications in the UK, Germany, France, Mexico, Japan and in other countries.
- His recent publications include a chapter on “Avoiding and Resolving Disputed In International Commercial Litigation” in the treatise International Law for CEOs: Lessons From Leading International Lawyers (2013) and a chapter on International Service of Process in the treatise Transatlantic Commercial Litigation and Arbitration (Oceana 2004). He is also the author of the chapter on dispute resolution in California that is a part in the 2013 edition of Law Business Research’s annual treatise on International Dispute Resolution, which is a standard reference work in this area.
- April 2019 Co-author, “Guest Post: Allocation of Defense Costs in D&O Litigation,” The D&O Diary, April 29, 2019
- July 2018 Getting the Deal Through - Dispute ResolutionReproduced with permission from Law Business Research Ltd. This article was first published in Getting the Deal Through – Dispute Resolution 2018 (Published: July 2018). For further information please visit Getting the Deal Through .
- May 2018 Courts Wrestle with Coverage of Cyber-Related Claims
- August 2017 Groundbreaking cyber insurance decision
- June 2017 Trade secret theft in the digital age
- November 2016 Liability insurance often has a role in class action defense
- November 2016 Cyber risk and its enterprise implications
- July 2015 Dispute Resolution In 48 Jurisdictions Worldwide
- July 2015 The International Comparative Legal Guide to: International Arbitration 12th edition
- June 2015 Enforcement of International Arbitration Agreements in U.S. Courts This article first appeared in the twelfth edition of The International Comparative Legal Guide to: International Arbitration; published by Global Legal Group Ltd, London.
- August 2014 Dispute Resolution in California
- August 2014 Litigation and Enforcement in the United States: Overview
- April 2014 New Opportunities for Finding Liability Insurance Coverage in Business Cases
- February 2014 Traditional Insurance Products and Cyber-Liability Claims
- February 2014 Traditional Insurance Products and Cyber Fraud Claims
- August 2013 Steep Penalties for Wrongfully Refusing to Defend
- August 2013 Dispute Resolution in California
- April 2013 Liability Insurance Coverage For False Advertising Claims
- October 2012 Got Protection? Coverage for Cyber-Risk Under Traditional Insurance Policies
- October 2012 Finding Cyber-Risk Coverage in Your Traditional Policy
- July 2012 “Disparagement” Under a CGL Policy
- June 2007 Liability Insurance Coverage for Copyright Infringement